Thursday, November 15, 2007

So, how was the conference?

It’s good to know I’m not the only one needing time to formulate commentary on GodBlogCon 2007 in Las Vegas, from which I returned three days ago (my return being delayed by a visit with friends after the conference). Even Joe Carter says,

Although I've been back almost a week, I still haven't finished putting together my post on the recent GodBlogCon. Some subjects are trivial and rather easy to write about (i.e., politics). More substantive matters are more difficult and it takes me some time to think about what I want to say. GodBlogCon is one of the most important events of my year so it's taking me awhile to get the words out.


It’s okay, Joe. Right now I’m at this level: “Where am I? Oh, I'm home. Oh I see. I see laundry. Must do laundry. Must do dishes. Must buy food. See Spot run. Must stop kids. From killing. Each other. Sleep... I need sleep.”

Speaking of sleep, I got virtually none the night before I was to speak. Contemplating sharing a podium with the likes of Al Mohler Jr., John Mark Reynolds, Mark D. Roberts, LaShawn Barber, Paul Spears, Joe Carter, and bright young stars like Dustin Steeve, Kevin Wang, and Rhett Smith about did me in. Good grief. My trembling could’ve run several small appliances. But I got over it, wonder of wonders (there is a merciful God) and you can hear the result here.

I must say that Sarah (Sarah Flashing, fellow member of Intellectuelle, a group blog for female lay-thinkers) took very good care of me, and together we had great conversation and great fun, even before hitting the Strip. Just kidding. About the Strip, that is. Both our seriousness and mirth were apparently noted by Dr. Reynolds, who remarked that we “are intensely rational, but appear to be enjoying it immensely.” Actually, I should just send you to his summary because he really captures the essence of the conference.

I regret not visiting with more people (two days go by fast!) but am grateful for every conversation I had, and delighted to have been part of this intense think-tank of seriously smart and seriously serious lovers of God who put their all into transmitting the Gospel via the internet. I think we all agree that we must keep doing what we're doing, which is pretty much the encouragement I brought away from the first GodBlogCon in 2005. (Wasn't able to attend last year's.) This year there was less idealism and more realism, which can only be good, but that's not to say that there was no optimism. There certainly was.

Dr. Reynolds, Dustin Steeve, and his assistants from Torrey Honors Institute are to be commended at the city gates and beyond for the integrity and scope of their efforts to make the conference happen. Their accomplishment is truly staggering. And they are still smiling!

After I get some sleep and a few loads of laundry done, I’ll share a few more of my thoughts on the conference.

(cross-posted at Intellectuelle)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home